2010-07-21

Cygwin.bat

I use Cygwin in combination with Poderosa for my terminal emulator (because it has tabs, unlike PuTTY), as a replacement for the Win32 console. These two are usually the first things that I install on a new Windows box.

I recently changed the drive letter of the drive to which Cygwin (v1.7.5) had been installed. After the change, Cygwin just ceased to start-up at all. Even after running setup again.

After some digging, I finally figured out that path\to\cygwin\Cygwin.bat contains an absolute reference to Cygwin's bin directory. However, it seems that this path only gets set once, at initial installation.

After updating the drive letter manually, though, everything is back to normal. I think the setup should detect and correct issues with this batch file...

@echo off

E:
chdir E:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i